Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Gooey Mess...

I woke up this morning at around six AM to the noise of my oldest playing in the refrigerator. He just turned three last December and is all gungho on doing everything by himself now. I guess we use the phrase "Big Boy" to much. When I finally pulled myself from the soft comfort of my bed, I stumbled my way to the growing noise. When I rounded the corner to the kitchen I noticed the floor was damp. I flipped on the light and that is when I found them...

My oldest, sitting there with such and innocent look upon his face, and my youngest covered in strawberry syrup! See my oldest in a fan of strawberry milk, but I would have to say this was a first.

I asked, "What is going on out here?"

In the sweetest voice I have ever heard from him, he answered, "What? You told me I had to Share." he flashed those long lashes at me, and smiled that toothless grin. His brothers light blond hair was a soft shade of pink and his blue footy PJ's were drenched. The bottle of syrup, laid empty in front of them, and the cabinets with in a two foot radius were speckled with gooey red hand prints.

I knew the day was going to start off with a bang, I just didn't realize what kind! After I cleaned the boys and redressed them, I headed towards the kitchen. With a huge sigh, I began to wipe the syrup up. I still am not sure if the kitchen floor will ever be clean of the stick residue, but the kitchen was the least of my worries. As I finished I made my way into the living room where the boys were playing quietly with their monster trucks. I sundered over to them and through myself on my sofa. And there it was. More gooey hand prints all over the brown fabric. I about lost it. What else had they touched? I ripped the cushions from the frame and ran to the kitchen sink. I patted and wiped the mess from the fabric one cushion at a time, then headed back into the frame to wipe the arms down as well.

I had bought my sofa and love seat from no one other then The Home Center. I have to say, by personal experience, that teflon is awesome! Kitchen floor is still questionable, but the sofa turned out as if it never happened. With in fifteen minutes each cushion was in perfect condition, and that is amazing. I mean, I am talking about one of those extra large family size bottles of syrup, and at least half, I'm guessing, was on the sofa. So, any of you out there with children, come on in and talk to us... I would like to help save your fabric, so you do not have to worry about a gooey stain lasting forever.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I am sorry to hear about your ordeal this morning Stacy...OH MY. Nice to hear about the fabric protection doing it's job though. I think I saw that Safeway was running a deal on Maple Syrup this week, maybe time to stock up.

wendyc said...

Oh Stacy, what a way to wake up. I thoroughly sympathize with you. I also have had a few "child" experiences with my sofa and loveseat, although my children tend to lean towards chocolate(they get their love of chocolate from their mother). Chocolate handprints on a cream colored sofa is a nightmare to any mother. Just as in your experience, I was able to remove the handprints, and any other prints, due to the Teflon I also had applied to my furniture I also bought from The Home Center. It is AMAZING!